Sand Pouring Cylinder is used for determination of the dry density of compact, fine, medium-grained soils and for layers not exceeding 50 cm thickness. A circular hole is dug into the ground, all the soil from within it collected, weighed and dried, and the hole back-filled with the standard uniform sand or fine gravel poured from a calibrated container for calculating the volume of the hole.
Sand Pouring Cylinder (Small)
The apparatus is suitable for field density estimation of fine and medium grained soils, as per IS:2720 (Part XXVIII). It consists of:
- Sand Pouring Cylinder 115 mm internal dia with conical funnel and shutter.
- Calibrating Container, 100 mm inner dia and 150 mm deep with flange 50 mm wide.
- Metal tray 300mm square x 40 mm deep with a 100mm dia hole at the centre.
Sand Pouring Cylinder, (Large)
The apparatus is suitable for estimation of field density of fine, medium and coarsegrained soils, as per IS:2720 (part XXVIII) and consists of:-
- Sand Pouring Cylinder, 215 mm internal dia, with conical funnel and shutter.
- Calibrating container 200 mm inner dia x 250 mm high with 75 mm wide flange.
- Metal tray 450 mm square x 50 mm deep with a 200 mm dia hole at the centre.